Teachers Federal Credit Union Announces 2021 Scholarship Winners
Teachers Federal Credit Union, one of the largest credit unions in the United States with $8.5 billion in assets and more than 355,000 members, has awarded $37,500 in scholarships to 15 high-school students throughout the New York region.
As part of the credit union’s ongoing commitment to make the pursuit of higher education possible, Teachers FCU has been awarding annual scholarships for more than 30 years. Scholarship applications are reviewed by a committee that evaluates academic achievements, extracurricular activities, community engagement and a written essay about how the students’ ambitions and career plans are smart for them
and the community.
“Education is at the heart of who we are at Teachers and we are proud to recognize this year’s scholarship recipients,” said President and CEO, Brad Calhoun. “As a way to support our student members and their educational pursuits, these academic scholarships serve as part of our mission to ensure that everyone and anyone has a chance to meet their aspirations. With the rising cost of higher education, we are proud to contribute to these students’ education on their path to success
and continuous learning.”
Teachers is proud to announce the 10 students who will each receive a $2,500 Teachers Federal Credit Union Scholarship award. This scholarship is open to graduating high school seniors who are members of the credit union in good standing, will graduate from high school in Spring 2021 with a minimum GPA of 3.5, and are attending an accredited U.S.-based college as a full-time student in Fall of 2021.
Teachers Federal Credit Union Scholarship Recipients:
- Jason Cirrito of Miller Place, NY will be attending Binghamton University
- Meral Eviner of Rockville Centre, NY will be attending Vanderbilt University
- Jocelyn Furman of Bellport, NY will be attending McGill University
- Catherine Grace Dugan of Mount Sinai, NY will be attending the University of Tennessee
- Frank Jones of Blue Point, NY will be attending McGill University
- Juliana Hicks of East Patchogue, NY will be attending the University at Albany
- Branden Logatto of Nesconset, NY will be attending the University of Miami
- Javier Orellana of East Islip, NY will be attending Wesleyan University
- Samara Silverman of East Setauket, NY will be attending Cornell University
- Melanie Walsh of Bohemia, NY will be attending Quinnipiac University
Now in its second year, the organization’s Robert G. Allen scholarship honors former CEO and President Robert G. Allen, who retired in 2019. The five $2,500 scholarships are in dedication to his years of service to the organization and are open to students who are members of the credit union in good standing, will graduate from high school in Spring 2021 with a minimum GPA of 3.5, and are attending an accredited college as a full-time student within Nassau or Suffolk County in Fall of 2021.
Robert G. Allen Scholarship Recipients:
- Lauren Anderson of Mastic Beach, NY will be attending Stony Brook University
- Aman Rahman of Medford, NY will be attending Stony Brook University
- Ryan Smith of Islip Terrace, NY will be attending Hofstra University
- Dominick Sturtz of East Islip, NY will be attending SUNY – Farmingdale
- Esmeralda Acevedo-Velazquez of Ridge, NY will be attending Stony Brook University
For more information on the Teachers FCU scholarship program,visit https://www.teachersfcu.org/about/community.